At Seaham Trinity we understand that transitions can be more difficult and stressful for children and we aim to make the process as easy and smooth as possible.
Coming into nursery
For new nursery starters there will be:
- A series of meetings for parents as well as transition days to allow your child to meet the staff and become accustomed to the environment.
- A brochure of information given to all parents.
- Opportunities to meet with the class teacher and the inclusion team to discuss the needs of children with additional needs.
Moving from nursery to reception
- New starters for Reception children are provided with the following opportunities:
Several parents’ information meetings.
- Children’s visits to Reception class in the Summer Term for 3 transition days.
- For some children we create pupil passports for children to go through over the holidays which introduces the different rooms and staff they will work with .
Moving between classes
When children move classes we:
- Pass on all curriculum levels.
- Have discussions between the current and new teacher.
- Create a pupil profile to enable the next teacher to develop support strategies quickly.
- For some children we create pupil passports for children to go through over the holidays which introduces the different rooms and staff they will work with.
- Have 3 days of transition at the end of the summer term so the children spend time in their new classes with their new routines.
- Support some children by gradually introducing them to their new year group over a longer period for small amounts of time.
Moving to secondary school
To support children with this move we:
- Work in partnership with our feeder secondary school (Seaham School of Technology) to provide an enhanced level of transition for those who we feel would benefit from this.
- Have meetings between staff of both schools to discuss children’s needs and make plans to implement strategies to meet those needs.
- Take part in a range of visits to the secondary school. Additional visits are planned for children with a higher level of need.
- Pass on all records and important information.